After delving into the world of classic watchmaking (H2 Tradition), HYT is now exploring noble materials with the H1 Full Gold. Another step towards unabashed classicism? “Far from it!”, exclaims Vincent Perriard, CEO of HYT. “This Full Gold version is still a pure H1. Under its new mantle of light, the technical and aesthetic canons remain unchanged.”
Yet upon closer inspection, the H1 Full Gold asserts its difference: the hour capillary has now been filled with a black fluid. This new colour is not simply a different hue of an existing version. It has been developed from scratch in partnership with Preciflex, the company responsible for all HYT fluid developments.
Whether blue, red, green or black, the starting point is always the same: the creation of a stable, coloured liquid that is unaffected by UV rays and includes properties (expansion and viscosity) that prevent it from adhering to the capillary and ensure it can hold a meniscus to separate it from the transparent fluid. Simple in theory, but incredibly complicated in practice. To create this black, dozen different chemical compositions were tested, playing with subtle variations of atoms, molecules and ions. This meant a total of 9 to 12 months of pure fundamental research. However, the result, a deep, completely opaque black, is not without consequence. At night, it is not visible. “The other colours that we have used before now could reflect the slightest beam of light,” explains Vincent Perriard. “But black absorbs everything. We therefore had to develop a new system for reading the time in the dark.”
For the very first time at HYT, the capillary of the H1 Full Gold rests on a trough hollowed into the case and entirely coated in Super-LumiNova (SLN). Consequently, when the light level starts to drop, the SLN comes into its own, bathing the capillary in green light from behind. As the black liquid does not allow this light to pass through, only the translucent part of the capillary not yet filled with black fluid will be illuminated. The conclusion: the hour is read by combining the time elapsed… and the remaining time. This is a first for HYT – and probably a first in watchmaking as a whole.
For more info on the HYT H1 Full Gold Limited Edition to 50 pieces, Click Here.
Case: Pink Gold (5N) with brushed, microblasted and satin-finished finishes, bezel and lugs in brushed pink gold (5N)
- – Diameter: 48.8 mm
- – Height: 17.9 mm
- – Black rubber-clad screw-down crown
- – Gold (5N) crown guard
- – Gold (5N) screwed offset lugs
- – Gold (5N) dome at 6 o´clock
- – Cambered sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on the inside
- – Screw-down sapphire back in gold (5N)
- – Water resistant to 100 meters.
Functions: Retrograde black fluidic hours; minutes, seconds
Movement: Mechanical with manual winding, exclusive HYT calibre
- – 28,800 Kph, 4 Hz, 35 jewels
- – Bridges hand-bevelled and adorned with Cotes de Geneve, rhodium-plated bellows
- – 65-hour power reserve
- – Bridges and main plate treated with anthracite grey NAC
Dial: Unstructured, fluidic hours
- – 5N galvanic coating hour dial, hours path filled with super-luminova, white indexes and numerals
- – 5N galvanic coating minute dial, 5N galvanic coating indexes and numerals, black minute hand
- – Luminescent indexes (Hours and minutes) and minute hand
- – Regulator at 12 o´clock
- – 5N galvanic coating small second wheel at 9:30
- – 5N galvanic coating power reserve indicator at 2:30